A downloadable game
<< Playable (Win/OSX) available! New 8/21/17! - TIGSource devlog >>
Slashcards: Learn Japanese! is an action-RPG where your mastery of Japanese is your character's power.
The focus of this project is to make rote learning a seamless and central part of an action game -- and not a contrived quiz app that interrupts an otherwise normal game.
Enemies have characters or kana right on their bodies, so you can prioritize your attack, or step back to find some safety so you can review in-game.
Attack an enemy and the faster and more accurately you respond, the more damage you'll do, the more experience you'll earn, and the better you'll be able to evade the monsters that are still chasing you! And by "responding", I mean choosing from multiple choices, typing in English or Japanese, or even drawing a character stroke-by-stroke.
On top of that, it's been built for multiplayer co-op and competitive modes from the very beginning. Adventure across the land with your friends or try one of the hectic versus modes (with CPU opponents, if you want!)
Beset by a curse cast by the warlock Yakusho, the gentle denizens of Benkyogoku need your help!
Discover the power of the Slashcards -- defeat monsters and unlock treasures by mastering reading and writing of Japanese.
From snowy glades to misty castles, you'll master kana, vocab, and kanji over the course of this epic journey!
Play with a friend--or friends, with four player local co-op. Or challenge them to a variety of competitive versus modes! Slashcards: Learn Japanese, Adventure Together!
- Learn how to read and write the two Japanese alphabets, hiragana and katakana!
- Then, take on vocab and more than 100 kanji!
- Explosive action that hinges on your Japanese mastery!
- Cross a vast world over the course of an epic quest to free the adorable Tainiis!
- Procedural forests, mountains, and dungeons to keep you on your toes!
- A knowledge engine that tracks your progress and offers intelligent, challenging questions!
- Featuring pronunciation clips from male and female native speakers!
- Up to four player local co-op, supporting gamepads and keyboard!
- Innovative, gamepad-friendly input methods: type Japanese and English fast and easily, so you stay in the action!
- "Stroke" questions challenge you to draw kanji and kana yourself, fostering mastery of written Japanese!
- A variety of competitive versus modes for 1-4 players--optionally with AI opponents--including Battle Bingo and Slash Racer!
|Published||Jun 01, 2017|
|Tags||Action RPG, Education, Fantasy, japanese, kana, kanji, Procedural Generation, Real-Time|
|Average session||About a half-hour|
|Inputs||Keyboard, Gamepad (any)|
|Accessibility||Subtitles, Interactive tutorial|
|Player count||1 - 4|
Click download now to get access to the following files:
- 0.94: New multiplayer modes, more levelsAug 24, 2017
- 0.93: Kanji + visual test levelsJul 24, 2017
- Gamasutra post: gamepad text input -- history + design in SlashcardsJul 21, 2017
- 0.91: Resolution fixJun 05, 2017
- 0.90. A first, quick updateJun 03, 2017